Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I wanted to take a quick minute and update my faithful readers ;) about how Special K and I are doing. Suz went with me to see midwife Carol this afternoon (the Birth and Women's Center has her approval). Good appointment all around. I gained double the amount of weight I should have since my last appointment (we decided with Carol that it's because of all the icecream we've been eating in Suzanne's honor, at Michael's insistence), but later Carol said she really couldn't blame me for the weight since its all still "water." That was really fun to hear. And, overall, I'm still in a healthy range and on target for a healthy gain.

Overall, I look good. Special K looks good. Carol (like the high-risk doc we saw for our last sonogram) is concerned about pre-term labor (meaning I would go into labor before 38 weeks). I'm measuring as if I were 39 weeks pregnant, though Special K is only 32 weeks. So, she felt like we should have a "plan." We scheduled another sonogram for Monday (man, if we'd known we'd have so many opportunities to see the little guy, we won't have paid to find out he's a boy!) and Carol and midwife Cherie will consult with their supporting OBs, just so that the OBs are aware of our situation should we have to deliver at the hospital. The cool thing about this visit is that I found out we can deliver at the birth center at 36 weeks (I thought it was 38 weeks). Carol also gave me a list of reasons I should call them -- among them, back pain and other labor "symptoms" you probably don't care to know ;) Carol's not concerned enough to start seeing me every week yet -- still going every two weeks.

The funny thing to me is that the last couple times I've ran into Cherie, she has commented on how big I am (in a way that would be rude from anyone else). Today, she even commented on how tight my shirt was around my tummy! But, after my appointment and talking with Carol, she kept saying, "Well, it is all fluid," as if I was suddenly off the hook for my tummy being big! :)

So, Michael and I had the sudden realization this afternoon that maybe we should be a little more prepared for this little guy than we currently are (as in, picking a definite name and finishing the nurfice). It's a little wierd to think that we really could have this baby safely at the birth center in one month. One month! Yikes! Yikes! Yikes! We're going to get the rest of the things we "need" this weekend, I think. Some friends have offered us a matress they had and we received our crib bedding, some diapers and other things we needed last weekend at the shower our Connection Class at church hosted. Still, there are some things we need to do/get.

If you would, please pray with us that Special K and I can hang on for the next month, at least. Selfishly, I'd really like him to stay put until full-term, simply because it makes my maternity leave easy (with the timing with Christmas we'd get to be in Indiana for quite awhile). But at the same time, I am super anxious to meet baby boy and to actually hold our son and would be completely okay with him arriving a month early, assuming he and I are both healthy.

Wow. We might be parents soon. Hopefully, my uterus will continue stretching and it will be another month. But, wow. We might be parents soon! :)

1 comment:

  1. You're already parents! Once you find out you're pregnant, life with child begins! :)

    I love nurfice!!! That is so funny! I can't wait to see Special K and I hope that is not what you name the poor guy!

    I hope your baby shower went well and I can't wait to see him in his outfits!! Love ya sista!

    ReplyDelete